The Run GP Service step runs a configured geoprocessing service. The step can be used to run geoprocessing tools, Python script tools, and ModelBuilder models that have been published to an ArcGIS Enterprise portal as services.
When the step is run, the Starting icon appears on the job and when the service starts and the Running icon appears to indicate that the geoprocessing service is running.
If any of the step's parameters are configured with an ArcGIS Arcade expression, they will be converted to the appropriate value before the geoprocessing service starts running.
If the Visible At Runtime option is enabled, a dialog box appears in ArcGIS Pro when the step is run to allow you to define parameter values. If a default value was configured, it appears in the dialog box. Required parameters are highlighted in red. When you are finished defining parameter values, click Proceed to continue running the step.
If the step runs successfully, a Step Complete icon appears. If the step fails, a GP Step Failed icon appears.
If a value obtained from a parameter's ArcGIS Arcade expression is incompatible with the geoprocessing service, the step fails.
When the step is running you can perform the following actions:
- Click the Cancel Step button to stop the running geoprocessing service.
In some cases, you may be unable to cancel this step once it has started running.
- Click the Complete Step button to finish the step.
Configure the step
Complete these steps to configure the Run GP Service step:
- Create or edit a workflow diagram to access the Step Library panel.
- Drag Run GP Service from the Step Library to a connection arrow of a step on the workflow canvas.
The Settings panel appears.
- Provide a name for the step in the Step Name text box.
- Optionally, provide a description for the step in the Step Description text box.
- Configure step options in the Options section as necessary.
- Automatically Executes—Runs the step as soon as it becomes active.
- Can Be Skipped—Allows the step to be finished without being run.
- In the Logic section, type the URL of the geoprocessing service in the GP Service URL text box.
- Optionally, uncheck the Secure check box if the geoprocessing service is not secured and doesn't require a token to be provided in the request.
- Click Edit next to Arguments.
The Step Arguments dialog box appears.
- Configure input parameter values in the Parameter Value text boxes as necessary.
You can also use ArcGIS Arcade expressions for parameter values. If a parameter doesn't support string values, click the Token button to use an Arcade expression.
- Optionally, click the Visible At Runtime check box next to a parameter to allow its value to be set when the step is run in ArcGIS Pro.
- Update the return value as necessary.
- Optionally, click the Help tab and provide help text for the step in the Help text box.
- Optionally, click the Style tab to change the shape and color of the step.
When the step finishes running, it sends a return code to indicate the result of the step. The return code is evaluated, and the workflow follows all paths that match the step's return value. The following is a list of return codes:
The step completed successfully, and the step returns the custom return code defined in the step.
The step failed to complete successfully.
The step completed successfully.