Versioning allows multiple users to complete work with their own version of spatial data so that they can reconcile and post their edits to the master version using the Run GP Service step. This helps to ensure that users are accessing the right data at the right time and helps avoid editing conflicts.
When the step is run, it checks each of the feature service data sources defined in the workflow for an existing job-specific version of the data. If the data source doesn't contain a job-specific version, the Create Version step automatically creates one and associates it with the job. The Create Version step only supports creating a single job version per feature service for the data sources defined in the job's workflow diagram.
If a private version of the data source already exists for the job, a new version is created for the data source if the step is being run by a user who is not the owner of the existing private version.
If a public version with the same job name already exists, the Create Version step fails. The existing version isn't associated with the job, and a new version is not created.
When the step finishes running, a message appears on the job tile with the result of the step.
If a data source has not been defined for the step, or if the step fails to create versions, a CreateVersionFailed message appears and the job doesn't proceed to the next step. Hover over the error message to display additional information about the error.
If the step fails and the return codes don't match any of the configured paths and the step wasn't configured with Can Be Skipped, the step remains in a failed state and can’t be skipped.
Configure the step
Complete these steps to configure the Create Version step:
- Create or edit a workflow diagram to access the Step Library panel.
- Drag Create Version from the Step Library to a connection arrow of a step on the workflow canvas.
The Settings panel appears.
- Provide a name for the step in the Step Name text box.
- Optionally, provide a description for the step in the Step Description text box.
- Configure step options in the Options section as necessary.
- Automatically Executes—Runs the step as soon as it becomes active.
- Can Be Skipped—Allows the step to be finished without being run.
- In the Logic section, configure permission levels for versions in the Access Permissions section as necessary.
The access permissions setting allows you to restrict versions from being viewed or edited by users other than the version owner. The default is Private.
- Optionally, click the Help tab and provide help text for the step in the Help text box.
- Optionally, click the Style tab to change the shape and color of the step.
When the step finishes running, it sends a return code to indicate the result of the step. The return code is evaluated, and the workflow follows all paths that match the step's return value. The following is a list of return codes:
The step failed to complete successfully.
The step completed successfully.